exercise : 33
page : 121
1. it was difficult to deliver the letter because the sender had writen the wrong address on the envelope.
2. we decided to leave early because the party was boring
3. rescue attempts were temporarily halted because of the bad weather.
4. they visited their freinds often because they enjoyed their company
5. paul cannot go to the football game because of his grades.
6. marcella was awarded a scholarship because of her superior scholastic ability.
7. nobody ventured outdoors because the hurricane warnings.
8. we plan to spend our vocation in the mountains because the air is purer there.
9. we have to drive around the bay because the bridge was destroyed in the strom.
10. the chikens have died because of the intense beat.
exercise : 34
page : 124
1. the sun hone so brightly that maria had to put on her sunglesses.
2. dean was such a powerful swimmer that he always won the races
3. there were such few student registered that the class was cancelled.
4. we had so wonderful memories of that place that we decided to return.
5. we had so good a time at the party that we hated to leave.
6. the benifit was so great a success that the promoters decided to reapet it.
7. it was such a nice day that we decided to go to the beach.
8. jane looked so sick that the nurse told her to go home.
9. those were so difficult assignments that we spent two weeks finishing them.
10. ray called at such an early hour that we weren't a wake yet.
11. the book looked so interesting that he decided to read it.
12. he worked so carefully that it took him a long time to complete the project.
13. we stayed in the sun for such a long time that we became sunburned.
14. there were so many people on the bus that we decided to walk.
15. the program was so entertainingthat no body wanted to miss it.
what is meant by the coordinate connector is AND,BUT, OR, or SO. many words english which consists of two clauses (clauses are group of words that consists of the least one subject and a verb (predicate)). when there are two sentences in english, we have to combine it whit care. which one way to combine two clauses is to use AND, BUT, OR,or, SO.example:
1. the sun was shining and the sky was blue.
2. the sky was blue, but it was very cold.
3. it may rain to night, or it my be clear.
4. it was raining outside, so i took my umbrella.
analysis: fourth sentence consists of two clause above and everything in connecting with a coordinate coonnector and a comma.
The following exemple shows how to coordinate connector in tests in structure questions on the toefl test 1 forgot my coat. ,,,,,,,,,, i got very cold.
(d) as a result
analysis : T he sentence above has two clause: i forgot my coat and i got very cold. to connect, we have to use a connector ,kata (a) then ,(c) later,and (d) as a result is not the connector ,so the best answer is because so could connector the two clauses correctly.